09:15 Welcome by the Finance Minister of the State of North Rhine – Westphalia Introduction by Ian Hayes, the First Vice President of CFE Tax Advisers Europe
09:30 Panel 01
Business models in the digital economy – how do they operate & where is the value created?
This panel will examine the business models utilised in the digital economy, the prevalence of intangible assets and the role of data within these models. The panel will also tackle the pivotal questions of where the value is created and how it should be attributed between group entities.
Moderator: Professor Piergiorgio Valente, President, CFE Tax Advisers Europe, Link Campus University, Italy
- Dr. Seth Benzell, Postdoctoral Associate, MIT Initiative on the Digital Economy in the group on Productivity, Employment, and Inequality, United States
- Gary Ashford, Partner Harbottle & Lewis, London, United Kingdom, CIOT & CFE Delegate
- Eric Herren, Cyber Security Senior Adviser, International Institute for Counter Terrorism, Switzerland
11:00 Panel 02
Possible solutions for the fair taxation of the digital economy – an examination of the OECD and EU proposals
The panel will discuss the EU Commission proposals for short and long-term solutions from both a political, policy and practical perspective.
Moderator: Geraldine Schembri, Chair CFE Tax Advisers Europe Working Group on taxation of the digital economy, Managing Director EMCS Tax Advisory, Malta
- Bert Zuijdendorp, Head of Unit for Company Taxation Initiatives, DG Taxation and Customs Union, European Commission
- Aart Roelofsen, Co-Chair OECD Working Party 1 dealing with Tax Treaty Issues & UN Committee on the Tax Challenges related to the Digital Economy
- Professor Philip Baker QC, Barrister, Queen's Counsel Field Court Tax Chambers, Visiting Professor Oxford University, United Kingdom
13:45 CFE award ceremony Albert J. Rädler Medal Presentation
14:00 Panel 03
Indirect taxation in the digital economy
The panel will discuss the new destination based principle, the increasing reliance on the MOSS system and the EU Commission proposals on the way towards a single European VAT area.
Moderator: Trudy Perié, Vice-Chair Indirect Taxes Committee, CFE Tax Advisers Europe, Head of Loyens & Loeff Amsterdam VAT Practice, Customs & International Trade Group
- Maria Elena Scoppio, Head of Unit, VAT, European Commission
- Fergus Matthews, Global Head of VAT, Microsoft, the Netherlands
- Erwan Loquet, Tax Partner, Indirect Tax Services, BDO, Luxembourg
- Albert Bomer, Indirect Tax Professor at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam & Coordinating inspector with Dutch tax authorities specializing in EU VAT aspects of data developments, the Netherlands
16:00 Closing remarks by Stella Raventós-Calvo, Chair Fiscal Committee, CFE Tax Advisers Europe, Partner Danbury Abogados, Spain
Download full programme